No Internet Required
FireChat sends messages directly between mobile devices
using peer-to-peer Bluetooth and WiFi connections.
Spread The Word
Every device acts as a relay, creating a mesh network amongst
groups within proximity.
FireChat allows for secure communication between individuals anywhere
on the mesh network
FireChat In Action
FireChat has been utilized by community organizers, emergency responders and private citizens to communicate when cut off from outside networks, including pro-democracy protests in Taiwan and Hong Kong, natural disasters in Ecuador and Kashmir, and off-the-grid events like Burning Man and Summit at Sea.
HOW IT WORKS
FireChat works by using the Bluetooth and WiFi radios in your phone to communicate directly with other devices within 200 feet that are also running FireChat. Multihop technology connects all devices within range, creating a mesh network that works, even when mobile and broadband access fails.
- Instantly post messages and photos.
- Block users at your discretion.
- Send private messages with end-to-end encryption.
- Store-and-forward updates when outside connection is resumed.
- Create private groups up to 50 people.
- Works on iOS and Android devices.
- Use hashtags to create public chat rooms.